In this post from The Mt. Vernon Center for Dentistry in Alexandria VA, we will concentrate on important behaviors that influence oral health.
Of course, effective brushing and flossing are two important habits for healthy teeth. But there are many more things we can do to preserve a healthy smile.
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is required for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do consume calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are detrimental to enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar results in the production of harmful cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to cavities.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This speeds up plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice. (It really can chip teeth.)
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are dangerous to teeth.
Other Important Tips
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. It is better to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Don’t get piercings in or around your mouth.
- Don’t ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
- If you have children, talk to Drs. Geren & Mady about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your kids fluoride supplements.
- Don’t use a medium or hard bristle toothbrush. It can damage gums.
- If you have an eating disorder – seek professional help without delay. Bulimia and anorexia are extremely damaging to teeth. (Not to mention the toll they take on the heart and other organs.)
We urge all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that advances dental health as well as overall physical health. At Mt. Vernon Center For Dentistry in Alexandria VA, we provide family and cosmetic dentistry, including clear braces from Invisalign. Schedule your next appointment with us today.
Contact Mt. Vernon Center For Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):