You may not be able to express why all the elements of someone’s smile blend in perfect harmony, but you know it when you see it. Some people are born with naturally great smiles. But chances are, the truly beautiful smiles are the result of cosmetic dentistry, like that provided by the Mt. Vernon Center for Dentistry in Alexandria.
You may be surprised at how many components go into planning a smile transformation. Here are a few of the most obvious:
- Tooth Color: shade, brightness, uniformity
- Tooth alignment: straight or crooked?
- Tooth size and proportions: are some teeth much larger or smaller than the rest?
- Tooth spacing: is there crowding or big gaps between teeth?
- Gumline margins: how much gum shows when you smile?
Here are some other important elements that may be less familiar to the layperson:
- The portions of the teeth that are visible when the mouth is at rest
- The relationship of the smile line and the lip line
- Zenith points: the highest point of the gumline in relation to the center of the tooth
- Midline placement: the smile should be centered in the middle of the lips, mouth, and face
- Mesial inclination: the tops of the teeth should angle slightly away from the midline
If crucial design principles are not observed, the smile may look “off” or the function of the teeth and jaw could be adversely affected. For example, a cosmetic dental smile makeover handled by an inexperienced cosmetic dentist could change the patient’s bite and put unnecessary stress on the restorations.
Do not decide on cosmetic dentistry by cost alone. If you are considering a smile makeover call Mt. Vernon Center For Dentistry in Alexandria today to schedule an informative consultation. We also provide clear braces, and many other services.