Periodontal disease is inflammation or infection of the gums. It is a treatable condition, at the Mt. Vernon Center for Dentistry in Alexandria.
For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. It is so pervasive in the US that it has been called a ‘health crisis’ by the ADA.
- If left untreated, it can cause permanent damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing daily dental hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of cavities.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease creates no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Contact Mt. Vernon Center For Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):