Our teeth work hard and are consistently under assault. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Sadly, enamel erosion is extremely pervasive, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal conditions, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At Mt. Vernon Center For Dentistry, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt continued erosion if some has already taken place.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it is gone, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the NIH, 41% of youth already have enamel erosion. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11132512)
3. Vigorous brushing can impair enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as dangerous as sugared sodas.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to halt future erosion. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been compromised. Call Mt. Vernon Center For Dentistry today at 703-360-5881 to schedule an examination. Drs. Geren & Mady will give you guidance on the best dental treatments for enamel erosion.
Contact Mt. Vernon Center For Dentistry: 703-360-5881
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):