Sleep apnea is a potentially serious condition in which your breathing periodically stops during sleep. It is linked to a host of other serious health conditions, but it’s treatable at the Mt. Vernon Center for Dentitry in Alexandria.
Read through these common symptoms. They may help you determine if you need to go see your medical doctor.
Signs of Sleep Apnea
- Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
- Sleep Deprivation
- Excessive Snoring
- Episodes of Not Breathing
- Mouth Breathing
- Dry Mouth/Throat
- Frequent Headaches
Having one of these symptoms does not mean you have sleep apnea, in and of itself. But if you experience several symptoms, we recommend seeing your doctor.
Three Types of Sleep Apnea
There are three different types of sleep apnea.
- Obstructive sleep apnea describes a condition where your throat muscles relax.
- Central sleep apnea, which occurs when your brain doesn’t send proper signals to control your breathing.
- Complex sleep apnea is present when a patient has both of the other two types.
If you are diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea, it’s important to explore all the treatments. Some types of sleep apnea can be treated with a dental appliance, availale at the Mt. Vernon Center for Dentistry in Alexandria. We offer a full range of family dentistry services. Call to schedule an appointment today!